For a limited time I'll answer questions from students, and encourage other long-term professional aid workers here in AidSource to do the same...

Ask away!

Views: 879

Replies to This Discussion

not a long timer but I'll be happy to share my 5 years experience with anybody in need.

In particular I spent quite some time in East of DRC and Burundi and I'm writing my dissertation on the country so if anybody has an interest let me know.

I'm actually got back to uni for a degree and I'll be happy to answer questions on "bridging the gap" from school to field and vice versa if needed.

I'll be travelling soon for a few days without access to connection, don't be afraid if I do not answer soon. Private messages are also welcome.

Hi all,

Thanks for starting the discussion. I'm a second year undergrad studying int. dev. and food policy in Ireland. I'm interested in sustainable agriculture, livelihoods and rural development. I'm thinking about a future career in  M&E/programme management (if I get that far).

Next year I have a 6 month work placement that's part of my course. The college has links with several different NGOs. Some of them are general, and involve programme evaluation with local NGOs. Quite a few are specific around food security and agriculture. There's a research one with ICRAF, the World Agroforesty Centre, that I like the sound of because its my area of interest, but as well because I know this type of internship is hard for an undergrad to get. There's another agriculture one that I like, and its at the other end of the scale, with a grassroots organisation in rural north India.

My question is - should I go for a placement that is more general, say involving different programmes/NGOs or should I go for one in my area like ICRAF or north India?

I know there's no clear answers to this - but any thoughts as to what is likely to give me useful skills are welcome.

I would say that field experience is always, always a plus. The earlier you can specialize, the better ("I work specifically on M&E for rural ag programmes on the subcontinent" sounds pretty good, no?)  Also, if you want to do M&E, make sure you have strong tech skills. Many people in this industry come in from the humanities side, and having more math/computer/analytic skills will give you an edge. 

Thanks Sarah!

Hi Sian,

You're facing a tough choice and there are no easy answers! However, it might help if you try to more clearly define what you are hoping to achieve through a work placement. What are the top 5 things you want to get out of it? 

Once you have defined that more clearly, your choice may become easier.  For example, if you are hoping to learn about the aid industry and work alongside people with more experience, probably ICRAF will be an environment where you can get that. Plus it never hurts to have a respected name on your CV. On the other hand, if your goal is to get first hand experience working and living in a developing country, then India would be your bet.

My one caution about going for a grassroots placement is that while you will learn a lot, you will likely be in a position where you are expected to provide advice / skills etc, not in a position where you are expected to develop those. That was certainly my experience, and while it was an amazing life experience, I didn't exactly come out of it with more skills than when I went in. 

One final word of hard-learned advice is not to limit yourself too early to an idea of what you'd like to specialize in. Coming out of undergrad, I was certain that I wanted a career in "Gender" and focus on North Africa. I have ended up finding my professional calling in communications and working mostly in South-East Asia, West, and East Africa - and having no interest in gender and development whatsoever. ;)

Thanks Breanna.

You have echoed my own thoughts - that it may be best to go with the larger, more well-known group. Grassroots placements are easier to find and it may be better to test my knowledge after I've graduated! 

And as for specialization, the valuable advice I have gotten from this network so far all says don't limit yourself too early, which is something I will keep in mind when thinking about a Masters. For now,  I don't think ICRAF would limit me later even though it's agriculture-focused. 

Our small NGO has constant, constant problems with the American off-site team. They are all volunteers, and are well intentioned, but our (4 person) on-site team spends a lot of time just explaining and reexplaining programming. For example, I run our M&E and have been told to work with 2+ American volunteers. They have NO CLUE about M&E and I spend more time explaining things to them than I do actually working on M&E!

At the same time, we do really need volunteers. We are such a small NGO, and all of our fundraising, website, marketing is in the States.

We are a fairly young organization (7 years) and I want to improve this system....what could I do to help rework our volunteer network? We need to get people who are more qualified, and the postings on idealist aren't cutting in. 

Sarah, I worked for what I liked to call a baby NGO which was suffering from the same issue except our volunteers were coming to where we were working with no experience or understanding of what they were walking into.

One of the things I think that worked to remedy the situation is to have targeted job descriptions for the positions you are trying to fill including an education and language requiremnet if applicable. Also don't be afraid simply because someone is a volunteer to ask them to complete some type of pre interview testing. For example you could do a test on M&E knowledge of terminolgy and protocols.

Another thing you can do is use those volunteers who were stand outs as mentors to current volunteers so you are answering less questions and doing more of the work you are trying to complete.

Just some ideas...

more or less on the same principle why not using Interns rather than volunteers?

I think that there will be many people just graduated that will be happy to work for free to gain experience on field and according to what you said maybe they can be a step better than simple volunteers.

You might also create link with universities offering degree in the field in order to have a regular flow of interns.

Sarah (and Lauren): 

In general I find the volunteer paradigm generally problematic for exactly this reason. As the old adage goes, "you get what you pay for", and in my experience (which does include working at one time for a small NGO with an overwhelmingly volunteer-centric identity) this is almost always the case with a volunteer-heavy staff, no matter how committed.

Assuming that changing over to a mode of operation where recruiting qualified staff and actually paying them to work for you is not an option, in my experience your options are basically:

1) Manage your volunteer workforce very assertively. This would include things like screening for competence, specific skills, even worldview, and becoming more selective about who is allowed to volunteer. A common tendency is to assume that because volunteer staff are volunteers, somehow the normal rules of good management and supervision don't apply to them. In reality you can manage volunteers in more or less the same ways that you manage paid staff, although you do need to invest in understanding their motivations and rewards. You can 'fire' volunteers for poor performance, too, by the way. 

2) Very dramatically downsize expectations about what you can accomplish in the field. Understand that working with volunteers requires a LOT of investment on the volunteer side. If You are intentionally a volunteer focused/driven/supported organization, then your job does necessarily becomes about educating volunteers about M&E (frustrating as that may be). While your organization may inadvertently get lucky now and again, the unfortunate reality is that you cannot do as much or run programs at the same level of excellence with volunteers as you can with paid professionals.

Volunteer-based programs are generally controversial. But basically, you have to go into them appreciating them for what they are, willing to make the kinds of commitments needed to operate them.

I'm also a Global Studies major getting ready to graduate in May. I would like to do a Masters in some sort of international development degree, but I'm planning on taking at least a year off first (like most people are advising).

I know it'd be a great time to get some experience working... but any specific ideas about how to go about getting an entry level job in the humanitarian sector and/or advice on what are good organizations? I know there are a lot of non-paid internship opportunities, but ideally I'd like to do something where I am at least getting paid a little, because I have loans from my undergrad to pay off..

I just don't really know where to start as far as a job search.. Should I look for small local NGOs, or bigger, more well-known ones? Should I look around where I am living now in Southern California (near my family/university) or should I just look for jobs anywhere? Any advice?

Karly I suggest you to try everything, or at least to apply everywhere and then according to opportunities take a decision.

In my opinion you already spent too much time in SoCal, better trying the field now.

Do you already have a specific interest in a sector or geographic area?

RSS

© 2014   Created by J..   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service